JOHN BRYSON (1810-1882)
Bryson Memorial - South Chatswood Methodist Church
Bryson was born in Ireland 1810. He was the son of
Robert Bryson, a carpenter, and his wife Penelope nee Campbell.
In 1831 he married Mary
Ann Campbell and in
1840 migrated with his family to New
He purchased land on the Lane Cove River which is said to have been sold to Thomas Jenkins
(q.v.). It is now part of the Lane Cove National: Park.
In the 1860s Bryson
purchased more land on the north-east corner of Mowbray
Road and Pacific
Highway and built a house in
which he lived until his death in 1882.
Bryson was elected to the
first Council of the Municipality Willoughby in 1866. He seconded the motion of
J. H. Fren requesting a proclamation of Public Roads, the first motion on roads recorded
in Council Minutes. During this period he followed his trade as a builder.
Council elections were held at his home in 1866 and 1867.
In 1867 he was re-elected for three years. He
was not re-elected 1870 but continued to work for the improvement of the
John Bryson held
religious services in his home prior to the building in 1872, of the Methodist Church,
of which he was one of the Trustees. . The bush mission society had established a small
brick chapel on John Bryson's land on the south-east corner of the intersection
of the Lane Cove Rd and Mowbray Rd by August 1864.
By 1870 Bryson had established a timber yard and 'school of arts' (which
served as the council chambers from 1879) on his land on Mowbray Road to
the east of Lane
John Brsyon (third from left) in front of the south chatswood methodist church cnr. pacific highway and mowbray rd - courtesy of picture willoughby